Contact Lens Care
We usually associate itchy or burning eyes with a long day’s work. Let’s face it; many of us become a little lazy when it comes to exercising optimal care and hygiene with our lenses. Clean and safe handling of contact lenses is one of the most important measures we can take to protect our sight and keep our eyes healthy.
Disinfecting lenses the right way is the first step to ensure that your lenses and eyes are protected against infection. These steps should be repeated after each wear:
- Place 3 drops of multi-purpose solution on each side of the lens surface and gently rub each side for 20 seconds.
- Thoroughly rinse each side of the lens with the multi-purpose solution for 5 seconds. Never use water!
- Place contact lenses in the lens case filled with fresh multi-purpose solution and soak for at least 4 hours.
Do not use saline in place of the multi-purpose solution. Saline does not have disinfecting properties and will not produce the same results. Lenses should be stored in a closed lens case and never exposed until ready to wear, for up to 30 days.
- Hands should be washed and dried thoroughly before handling your lenses
- Do not use your lenses past its expiry date
- Seek immediate medical advice if you feel any form of eye irritation
- Have regular check-ups at a certified practitioner every year
- Lenses should never be worn when swimming
With a little care and diligence, all of us can make sure that our eyes are less prone to infections!